Indonesian Citrus and Subtropical Fruits Research Institute (ICSFRI) is located in the village of Tlekung, Junrejo District, Batu, East Java. ICSFRI is lied at 4 km from Batu City and at altitude ± 950 m above sea level. By virtue of a Regulation of the Minister of Agriculture Number: 13/Permentan/OT.140/3/2006 Indonesian Citrus and Subtropical Horticultural Office has increased from Echelon IV to Echelon III with the name of Indonesian Citrus and Subtropical Fruits Research Institute (ICSFRI). ICSFRI is one of the Technical Implementation Unit Research and Indonesian Agency of Agricultural Research and Development under responsibility of Indonesian Center for Horticulture Research and Development.
- Research on genetics, plant breeding and seed production of citrus and subtropical fruits.
- Research on exploration, conservation, characterization and the utilization of germplasm of citrus and subtropical fruits.
- Research on agronomy, morphology, physiology, ecology, entomology and phytopathology of citrus and subtropical fruits.
- Research on technology component system of citrus and subtropical fruits agribusiness.
- Technical services and assistances of citrus and subtropical fruits.
- Corporation, information, documentation, and dissemination of innovative technology of subtropical fruits.
- Creating, engineering and developing efficient and high competitive innovative technology of citrus and subtropical fruits based on local resources as user’s requirement.
- Establish and develop cooperative national and intenational research network to improve quality and professionalism of human resources and mastering innovative technology for citrus and subtropical fruits.
- Disseminate innovative technology and research Product to the users.
- Strengthening ICSFRI’s Capacity and Publicity.
- Conserving and developing potential genetic resources for citrus and subtropical fruits to support product diversification and to establish agro-techno-tourism center.
- Priority commodities : citrus, apple and grape.
- Prospective commodities : longan and strawberry.
Strategic plant of ICSFRI in 2010 – 2014 contains three main objectives, which are :
(1) Availability of model/innovation on citrus and subtropical fruits technology which are environmental friendly on local resource-base, and also able to produce high quality and high competitive product, (2) Acceleration of dissemination on citrus and subtropical fruits technology innovation result to support development program of horticultural are and commodity development in specific agrosystem zone, (3) Achievement of capacity building and resource competency and institution management which are able to support the main task and functions implementation and achievement to support program implementation.
ICSRFI has 101 official staffs including research scientists (27) and administrative or technical assistance staffs (70). The research facilities are including tissue culture, phytopathology, virology, entomology, plant breeding and data management laboratory, 8 experimental farms and germplasm collections. ICSRFI have been collecting and maintaining 211 varieties of citrus, 73 varieties of apples, 43 varieties of grapes, 20 varieties of longan, 3 varieties of lychee, 16 varieties of avocado, 267 varieties of mangoes and 13 varieties of subtropical fruits.
- Production of virus free citrus mother plants
- Indexing analysis of Foundation Block and Citrus diseases identification from the fields
- Human resources development for seedling and healthy citrus orchards management
- Production of foundation seed and stocks of citrus, apple, grape, and subtropical fruits
- Citrus agro-clinic networking assistance among growing areas in Indonesia through : www.balitjestro.litbang.deptan.go.id
ICSFRI offers and executes research collaboration with the agroindustry, farmers groups, local governments, university, national/international research institutes, professional, and other company.